Business Development Manager
We are Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions (CAES), a technologically advanced electronics company employing more than 2,400 talented makers, thinkers, innovators, and doers nationwide. We build things that solve challenging problems from deep space to the depths of the ocean. We serve customers in defense, aerospace, security, medical, and industrial markets.
Are you searching for a career with a company that offers challenging, diverse projects and opportunities? Are you looking for a position with a company that is growing and able to offer long-term professional advancement? Searching for a company that values a friendly work environment and that values YOU? Consider CAES. #peoplefocusedmissiondriven
A career with CAES is more than just a job, it is the pathway to a bright future.
The CAES Advanced Program Development (APD) line of business is recruiting a Business Development Manager (BDM) to lead new business and capture efforts. This is a key business growth role reporting directly to the CAES APD Director of Business Development (DBD). This full-time position is in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with some limited work from home opportunity. The BDM will maintain the highest standards of performance and excellence. The BDM will champion both technical and process innovation. The BDM will lead APD growth through team collaboration and coordination across all engineering and business functions. The BDM will also support all functions within the business and help to define the site’s overall short-term and long-term functional and strategic goals.
The ideal candidate possesses an extremely strong and deep customer relationship(s) with the United States Government (USG) and expertise in Radio Frequency (RF), digital processing, and software mission areas. This individual will have experience in managing customer relationships in a Research and Development (R&D) environment and pre-production activities across a diverse product portfolio. This individual will have proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to achieve operational results. The ideal candidate will have proven customer facing skills, people leadership, mentoring, coaching, and training skills for engineers of all levels.
The BDM is an important growth agent for the site. The successful candidate will execute business development activities and work with technical staff to win new programs in space protection, security, communication, and networking mission areas. Once won, the BDM will support engineering and program management staff to assure engineering effectiveness and customer satisfaction.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Oversee existing and develop new customer relationships to win new business related to RF, digital and software mission areas. Work with teammates across the CAES organization to win new business. In coordination with program management and engineering, coordinate technical discussions between Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to aid in the identification of customer requirements and capture new business.
- Ability to identify customer opportunities that align with APD and CAES capabilities
- Ability to lead and drive high performance teams across customer programs, with a strong focus on teamwork, program execution and rigor, customer satisfaction, and speed
- Ability to apply sound analysis and judgment of customer opportunities, make impactful decisions in complex and ambiguous situations, often with incomplete data
- Ability to develop talent through coaching, training, performance management, and recruitment
- Ability to work within a matrixed management structure in an agile and non-siloed manner
- Ability to build positive relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring “cross-pollination” of insights and experiences
- Ability to strongly mediate and develop alternate approaches when there are diverse and conflicting needs in order to achieve positive outcomes
- Ability to role-model for the organization in line with CAES’ values, exhibiting exemplary leadership behavior and emotional intelligence
- Strong communication skills internally and externally, employing diplomacy, confidence and tact; assertiveness without antagonism or alienation
- Attaining BDM goals such as winning new business with existing and new customers
- Customer and internal stakeholder satisfaction
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in business development for high-tech R&D
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain a Security Clearance
- Deep experience and subject matter expertise in business development related to RF, Digital and Software technology
- Experience with electronics design & manufacture, relevant market/customer acumen, and strong product and technology expertise
- Experience delivering consistent results across the business pipeline for a diverse product portfolio
- Experience in driving business development processes, practices, and measures of performance and proven track record with continuous improvement achievements in engineering organizations, including working knowledge of Stage-Gate methodologies
- Business acumen, including a track record of enabling business success through engineering performance results, including responsibility for budgets, schedules, cost estimates, resource planning, and proposals
- Demonstratable ability to lead progressive changes with strong change agent, mentoring and personnel development skills
- Experience interfacing directly with customers on complex program challenges
- Experience leading business development of microwave products for radar, EW and digital processing applications
- Advanced degree in a technical specialty and/or in management
- Strong relationships with the DoD and DoD suppliers
- Experience working in and driving results in a matrix organization
- Active DoD/Top Secret clearance
CAES APD provides a variety of benefits, including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, 401K, paid holidays, sick leave, and vacation. A complete list is included below.
CAES is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in its employee population. It is the policy of CAES to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. CAES will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
The EEO is the Law poster is available here and the poster supplement is available here.
The Pay Transparency Policy is available here.
CAES is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to CAEScareers@caes.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
CAES APD Benefits
- 11 paid holidays
- 10-20 paid vacation days, dependent on years of experience
- Company-paid medical health care plan for employees and families
- Company-paid basic dental health care plan for employees and families
- Company-paid vision health care plan for employees and families
- Company-paid short and long-term disability for employees
- 401K plan with matching employer contributions
- Company-paid life insurance for employees
- Company-paid sick leave, military leave, and jury duty
- Company-paid accidental death and dismemberment insurance for employees
- Education assistance
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Complementary monthly in-house massages by licensed therapist
Prior military needs to provide a copy of their DD-214 upon completion of a successful interview process.
- Referrals through network preferred
- No third party applications
- CAES APD is an equal opportunity employer
- All positions require the ability to obtain a US security clearance
APD hires exclusively on a case-by-case, professional-to-job basis, and only after a careful and thorough vetting process has been carried out by all APD management staff members.